background

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My Pregnancy: Part 2

No one can prepare you for how hard your first trimester is. I had never thought past a positive pregnancy test. I guess I thought that everything after that was just all about being excited. For me, the first trimester was not hard because of the pregnancy symptoms...but because of the worry. Maybe it is just me...I know I worry a lot more than the average person...but so much can happen in your first trimester. The miscarriage rate is so high right at first. My biggest fear was that we would go in for an ultrasound and they would tell me that my baby didn't have a heartbeat. I already loved this little baby so much and couldn't fathom the thought of losing it. I spent the entire first trimester praying that my baby would be ok and if we could just make it to 12 weeks I could rest well. My mom quickly let me know that the worry you have for your child never goes away....and in the short months that I have been pregnant I see how right she is! (To my baby girl: if you read this one day...always know that mommy knows best!!) I prayed every single day...most days more than once. And every time I prayed I heard God say back "I will take care of you and your baby". I always love when I hear back from God. I used to think that it was impossible...but then I realized that God speaks to us in so many ways...we just don't always listen. If you have never listened long enough to hear back from God...wait for next time. Because this is best kind of comfort you will ever receive! This one sentence has gotten me through so much :)

When I was considered to be 5 and a half weeks pregnant I started to show signs of a miscarriage and I was so scared. I was told to come in for blood work the next day. My numbers came back good so they decided to do an ultrasound to make sure I wasn't having an ectopic pregnancy. The ultrasound went well...it was too early to see a baby but everything else looked good so all we could do was wait. They scheduled me for another ultrasound for 7 weeks. I thought that appointment would never get here. But it finally did and when I saw my tiny baby with an amazing little heartbeat my heart just melted. I was instantly in love!! One of my very first thoughts was how in the world can people not consider this a baby!! I mean you could see her heart beating! Life is such a miracle and so many people take it for granted. We had to wait another 2 weeks before we got to see our baby again. And it was just as incredible as it was the first time around :) This time instead of looking like a little piece of rice she actually looked like a baby!! You could see her little body with arms, legs, and a little alien looking head :) She was so cute!!  It was after this that we decided to tell the world!! We sent out cards to our family and friends...even though some of them already knew.

I ordered these cute little cards from ETSY! It was so much fun to hear from people as they got them!!

At 10 weeks I had really bad pain in my stomach so they decided to have me come in to make sure everything was ok. They use what is called a Doppler to listen to the baby's heartbeat. At this point I had never had that done before because we had always had an ultrasound. The nurse spent several minutes trying to find the heartbeat but couldn't. She told me not to worry because the baby was still so small and they can't always find it. So they immediately sent me over for an ultrasound. The worrier in me tried to stay calm. I was by myself that day so I called Nathan and my mom and just told them to say a prayer for the baby. I had to wait about 30 minutes to have the ultrasound done and while I was sitting there waiting my sweet husband showed up. He didn't want me to be by myself in case something was wrong. They finally called us in and immediately found the heartbeat!! I was so relieved :) And it was fun seeing my baby again!!!

I finally made it to the 12 week mark and I was so relieved. Looking back, I wish I would have enjoyed those weeks a little bit more. I was so consumed with worry that I missed out on a lot of the excitement I should have been experiencing. One of the many lessons God has taught me through my pregnancy is that He is in total control. This baby girl is His...not mine. And His plans for her are better than anything I could ever imagine.

Hope you are enjoying :) Part 3 Coming soon!!

Kelsey






No comments:

Post a Comment